Sunday, December 3, 2017

Who says sheep are dumb?

Today we put the boys in a temporary pen out front where there are more greens. They've pretty much eaten everything in their pasture down to the ground. It gives Hattie a chance to move them and everyone is happy.

I didn't want them to eat too much so went to get them after three hours. Bob asked to see if Hattie could control them walking down the driveway to the road, a test to see if walking around the road to a neighbor's pasture is possible. We detoured down the drive and all went well. Bob was impressed and the boys enjoyed the chance to expand their horizons before heading back to the pasture.

Later I could see from the kitchen window they weren't happy being back. They stood at the gate looking forlornly towards those greener lands.


Then I realized something was wrong. One of the boys was on the wrong side of the gate - but I had left them all inside! By the time I hobbled outside (my arthritic knees prevent a run or even a fast paced walk) all the boys were out and heading towards the nearest Shore Pine with hopes of stripping it to shreds. 

Hattie shines at times like this, as she has no problem running. Off she went to gather the boys to me and save my tree. What would I do without this dog? 

The sheep were either very lucky or watched me wrap the chain around the fence post and figured out how to unhook it. I had to find a more secure way to latch it and am thinking I'd better find a way to secure the other gate which is even easier to open than this one. Well, I can't blame them for wanting to get out where there is so much to eat. Tomorrow they can spend the entire day in the front pen and happily gorge on fresh greens.

Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...