Saturday, May 11, 2019

An Epiphany

Today I have a new understanding of the sheep. They're aware of me in complex ways and try to communicate in much the same way dogs do.

I was snapping pics of flowers around the yard. It was quiet in the sheep pen so I thought the boys were laying in the shade of the barn. Mocha came round the side, running towards me and bleating. Normally the boys are silent so this vocalization in itself was unusual. When he had my attention he turned toward the barn, then back at me. Timmi was upset and breathing hard but I brushed it off as the two of them battling and totally missed what was happening. 

Some time later, after helping Bob build a gate for the garden, I noticed Gimp, Stomper and Boots were locked in the barn. Mocha had been asking for my help to get them out but I was too dense to understand! Either Mocha or Tim closed the door while rubbing on the side of the barn and locked the others inside. Being separated is the very worst thing that can happen to these guys so they were very upset. I had a good laugh and gave Mocha some extra special scratching under that wool rug on his back once everyone was reunited and happy again. 

Mocha asking me to open the barn door

Chores like weeding, trimming winter plant damage and watering have consumed most of my time when not hunting for a house in Port Angeles. (More on that another time.)  I've been exhausted by days end. Temperatures have been well above normal for this time of year so my plants are dealing with water stress before getting a chance to recover from the hard winter. Our sandy soil is too dry for mid May and the snowpack in the Olympics is melting fast so we are just keeping fingers crossed that we'll have enough irrigation water to make it through the summer. Flowers however are blooming and giving me much pleasure while I work. 









Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...