Thursday, May 4, 2017

Gardening

Our odd winter weather proved too much for the artichokes. None of them have come back so we're going to dig out the old plants and try again. Seems to have happened to quite a few people so I don't feel like I did something stupid to lose them. The asparagus took a bit of a hit as well. We're not going to harvest any and see if they will do better next year. On a positive note, I'm already harvesting greens. 

The Pieris japonica looks much improved. The leaf tips looked scorched last summer and I was thinking about pulling them, but they are covered with new growth this year so I'm hoping they'll survive.


My lone purple trillium is blooming!


The epimedium is doing so well in the shade garden that I added three new plants with purple and orange flowers between four new hellebores. This one has yellow flowers. Love the reddish heart shaped leaves.


Beautiful tulips. I forgot to get a picture of the pink ones that just bloomed. They are my new favorites.


It's a warm and humid 72℉ today and the sheep have settled into the shade of a blue spruce. This is Gimpy, the first to have hoof trouble. He has become a love sponge and can't get enough neck, shoulder and back rubs.


This is Boots on the left, the dark one is Mocha, and I'm not sure who is in front. Either Stomper or 87. I work them with Hattie a few minutes every day and they've settled down a lot. Hoof troubles are over for now. That's it for my update. The days are flying by.


Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...