Saturday, November 5, 2016

Nosework Trials

Congratulations to The Brilliant Ms. Hattie for completing her first nosework trials. This was a fun match to gain experience before the real trials this spring. We ran the advanced full trial match.

The Brilliant Ms. Hattie

Hattie can give quite subtle indicators when she finds a scent so I have to watch her carefully.

Two legs were indoors. First was a row of twelve closed boxes, only one with anise scent. She trotted down the row and right by all of them. The last box she gave a slight sniff, but nothing I could rely on, so we walked back up the row and down again. When she indicated interest in the last box for a second time I called it, and she was right.

The second leg was a small open search area. From the start she went right to a spot and indicated , two seconds into it, but I wasn't convinced so we walked quickly around the space and she went right back to that first spot... and she was correct again.

The third and forth legs were outdoors and it was pouring rain so I was hoping she'd find the hides fast. The first area she walked one perimeter and went right to a column and gave a good strong sign so I went with it. Her time was just seconds in that leg.

The last hide was on one of three cars. We went around the first one and she gave me a few looks but nothing convincing, then she skipped the second car entirely (she's in control of where she searches within the boundaries) and went around the outside of the third where she pointed at one wheel well. It was raining so hard I thought I am not going to question her. If it's wrong, so what. I just want to get out of the rain. So I called alert and she was spot on. I have learned my lesson about trusting her!

It was a fun morning despite the rain but we had no one to celebrate with at home. Bob and Tux are on their way to sunny Arizona.


Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...