Monday, June 8, 2020

Useless Stinky Lilac

Some time in the past, before we moved here, a lilac was planted next the garage man-door and for two weeks every year the scent is so strong it is nearly impossible to walk through it. If the wind blows, it's almost impossible to be in the yard. The scent is strong. And I do not like it. But something does and I spot one of these critters in it every year. The white lined sphinx moth. It hovers and flies like a hummingbird and it's the only thing that makes this plant tolerable because I get to watch this moth unfurl it's long proboscis and feed on the nectar. I've been closely watching the bumble bees in the raspberries, too. Another fascinating way to spend some time during the pandemic.




Notice that the sheep are looking sleek and relatively clean without their winter coats. They were happy to be plucked but now expect chest and back rubs whenever I'm around. Hattie is the only thing between them and my sanity. Humans have only two hands and there are five sheep to rub. A significant shortcoming on my part.




Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...