Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Underwhelming but with potential

I put my new plants into Manzanita Point and they are underwhelming to say the least. There is still feather grass to plant after I dig it up from the back yard. Sedum and yarrow are possibilities, too, or maybe just an excuse to make a nursery run.

See the tiny plants within the rocks in pictures below.

In first picture there are two agaves on the left. Agaves? Yes, I've seen huge agaves in Sequim but I'm not sure they will do as well here so close to the coast. But it's worth a try. They're in a dry spot warmed by heat reflected from the driveway blacktop, and I've planted them on an angle so winter rains can drain off rather than collect in their crowns and cause rot. The dwarf Spaan's Shore Pine is center, and far right at the point of the smaller rock is a prostrate Leptospermum. Eventually it will form a large mat and bloom with tiny white flowers. I have a larger variety of Leptospermum that I like a lot so am hoping this one is equally nice.



And here are three more manzanitas on the other side of the rocks. Sunset, a mid-sized shrub (eventually) and two of a prostrate form, Pacific Mist. Pretty name. The other manzanita are doing well so I'm hoping these will too. It all looks so fresh and neat with the new mulch and rock border.


This is the newly planted corner of the yard we just fenced in. Again, a lot of underwhelming plantings. It would be so much nicer if these were available in gallon size pots. The sticks that look like rosemary are actually Grevillea plants. And just to fill in space until they grow I've planted a few yarrows.



In case you are unfamiliar with them, here are links to photos of the Grevillea at Desert Northwest where I bought all the manzanita, Grevillea, Leptospermum and agaves.






Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...