Monday, July 20, 2015

Dog diaries

Do not go gentle into that good night

Hoop is a fighter. We didn't expect her to last the weekend yet she is here Monday morning. She drinks water but no food so is very weak, but her eyes are clear and bright and she lifts her head to watch everything I do. She just doesn't have the dull eyes and look of impending death that would make it easier to accept what is happening. As I work I pull her on her bed room to room so she won't be alone. I don't know how much longer she can last but tomorrow both dogs go to the vet to discuss options. Do we start the financial drain of endless medical testing, medicating, force feeding, sub-q fluids in the hope of getting a few more months of life? And my sweet Tag, so isolated with his loss of vision, and hearing. Walking in circles, bumping into corners and walls, pacing endlessly, back legs collapsing over and over again. The only senses that seem to be intact are smell and touch, so I hug him and brush him and he responds, but he doesn't seek out that attention any more. Does he even know who I am? He and Hoop have been inseparable the last 14 years, they are like one, so maybe it is fitting they go into the long night's sleep together. But how do I make that decision when they've been just as much a part of me?

Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...