Saturday, July 26, 2014

Return of the Rat Lady

Is there something about a VW that packrats find irresistible? I haven't even had the car long enough to get license plates and one of the critters has already taken up residence. We parked the car in the shade and hung tea bags in the engine compartment to act as a repellent, as advised by a mechanic, but I've been watching for debris underneath that would indicate rodents just the same. The Eurovan engine insulation was destroyed by packrats and Jason's old pickup before that. So the morning I spotted a dog turd under there I knew something was up. Dogs don't poop under the car but pack rats use poop to build their dens. I opened the hood (top picture) and found the insulated sleeve covering the battery pretty badly chewed.  


I went into Rat Lady mode and took a leisurely drive down to Ace Hardware to pick up supplies. Air temperature was 114 degrees and I figured if the rat was still in there it would be roasted by the extreme heat of the road from one side and engine heat from the other long before I got home, a fate met by the rat that nested in the Eurovan in an episode that made me a legend at the local Ace Hardware. 

Tea bags are now added to the list of useless remedies. I've placed sticky traps on the battery and a stinky pine scented car deodorizer (below) that might be repulsive enough to keep intruders out. Also, no more parking in the shade. The vehicle has to be out in the wide open spaces where it can get ferociously hot. I suppose replacing the battery cover will set us back a hundred or two. Little rat-bastards.



What's Up With That?

The town burros stopped by this morning. Maybe the heat is getting to them. A two year old female had a death grip on the neck of a baby burro. The baby struggled to get away but the older one would not let go. It looked like she wanted to kill the baby so I trying shouting and banging things, hoping to chase her off, hosed them with water and threw rocks at the biter but she was not deterred. After about fifteen horrifying minutes something dislodged her grip and the baby was able to kick free. I've seen males draw blood in ferocious battles but have never seen a baby treated like that.

Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...