Sunday, March 16, 2014

Glaze Fix

This is the troublesome pot with pits from the initial firing I posted a few back. It's been through a second low fire cycle and produced a quite good result. I filled the pits with a little more of the Cone 06 Mayco Copper Aventurine that had bubbled, then fired it with a Cone 04 bisque load. It produced some interesting coppery sparkles and streaks and runs. Photos don't show it well, but darker colors are glossy while the butterscotch color and white are matte. It's a little darker than the first result, but I'm really pleased with it overall. Usually my glaze experimentations are pretty awful. In fact, I feel like most of my glaze firings are disasters, so thank goodness for small favors. The swimming pool hasn't been filled yet (in it's transformation to RV parking pad) and makes a great place to throw ugly pots. I love smashing them almost as much as making them!



It's been an awful spring for wildflowers. Not nearly enough winter rain. Creosote, brittle bush, ocotillo and a few other shrubs like the two below are flowering a little. It will be a tough year on the bees and other insects. 




Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...