Monday, August 13, 2018

Bringing them in

I hate to just toss spent flowers into the compost and save them when I can for indoor arrangements. This Eyngium is holding on to its blue color long after being cut. I paired it with a smaller type of allium.


OK, the dill isn't dry but I brought it in because it smells so good. It volunteered in the veggie beds and the scent as you walk by is irresistible. (We broke down and bought a small table and two chairs for the kitchen nook because we didn't like eating at the kitchen counter. This is the table. We have a formal table but I just don't like the dining room. Feels too confined I think. Having a view of the flower gardens while eating here is a bonus.)


This is a giant allium, Star of Persia I think. It was here when we bought the house and there is only one that comes back every year but it makes a big impression. 


A collection of white and purple alliums.


Purple alliums in the entry. I saved a lot of them. Yes, I like alliums.


Poppies from last year and alliums. Poppy pods make great arrangements. I have only one peony poppy, a red one, growing this year and it came up on its own in the veggie bed. Hope to collect the seeds and distribute for next year. I've ordered seeds for cream and pink to grow with them. I'm going to clean out the failed asparagus bed that's full of weeds and grow poppies there. You can't grow too many flowers.



Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...