Monday, July 24, 2017

Pictures from the homestead

This is my first time making currant jelly. I'm not a big jelly fan but the currants were such gorgeous sparkling red pearls hanging from their strands amongst the green leaves that I couldn't let them go to waste.


Here they are all smooshed and draining. Tomorrow I'll make their juice into jelly.


Bob helps with the sheep chores and loves to hold a branch down for the boys to chow on the leaves. They wait for him to finish clean up and follow him down to the trees for their morning treat.


Here are Sapphire and Ruby, two of my sweet ducks.


And Hattie with tennis ball. She reminds me of Hooper, always carrying a ball, ready to play.


All the garlic has been harvested and is hanging to dry. A few onions are in here too.


It's a pretty rose but I swear I am going to rip this disease prone thing out.


We trimmed the ceanothus yesterday. I hate doing this to shrubs. Their natural form is so beautiful and a lot less work. But this is a case of the wrong location for a plant like this and it has to be cut back yearly or will totally block the window and walkway.


A few pictures of summer flowers.




Finally getting some roma tomatoes to ripen without the dreaded blossom end rot. I'll cut them, dry in the oven and freeze them for use later. 


Luscious raspberries. We have a bumper crop this year but most will be left for the birds to enjoy. I still have jam from last year so won't be making any more.


These are my favorite type onion, Walla Walla sweets, and they look big and beautiful.


Just great color in this flower.


Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...