Friday, September 21, 2012

Lilies weather the storms



Still getting hammered by the weather. Flooding, from the Kenai Peninsula to Cordova, up to Talkeetna, and the Richardson Highway. Flooding like I have never seen up here. More to come through the weekend, too. The gorgeous lilies we planted this summer are blooming through the worst of it though, giving me  some cheer. Yellow, salmon and brilliant orange. A pink to open later this week. I love their brilliant colors!




Earlier this summer I tossed a mix of wildflower seeds out front to cut down on weeds taking over the area that was cleared during construction for the drains. They are finally coming into bloom with a riot of color. I wasn't liking the looks of it all until the colors started showing, now thinking I will just tame the area a bit next summer and make the bees happy with all these flowers again.




The Sandhill cranes have either taken off with the storm systems or are laying low until it's all over. We haven't seen them doing training flights since the rain began, but the Steller's Jays are back, peeking in the windows, looking for a handout. Noisy moochers. We only see them this time of year. As soon as I open the door to put down a few nuts they fly over and clear them out. They are fast and won't cooperate for a picture. Here's the best of several I tried taking through the kitchen window.


Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...