Sunday, August 19, 2012

Coconut Salmon

The fish have been jumping and Bob has been fishing -- but not catching yet. Tomorrow we're going to "the hole" out on the Spit and I will wet a line, too. Good thing we have fish in the freezer!

Here is my very favorite way to cook salmon. You are lucky I am sharing....

Smear the cleaned fish (salted and peppered) with mustard, horseradish or wasabi, depending on how much of a "kick" you like. Today it was mustard but wasabi is probably the best. I cook with the skin on so only coat the flesh side, and I cut the filets into pieces about three inches wide so they will cook quickly and evenly. I also cut the thin belly off the filet as a separate piece and add it to the pan last because it will cook in a flash. 

Press the smeared fish into a mix of Panko breadcrumbs and coconut (sweetened or not, I find little difference). No need to coat the skin side. I took a picture but it was overexposed and looked like a white blob. Who needs a picture of that anyway?

This is the most important part so listen up. The key to a fresh flavor is cooking in coconut oil

Yes, I know coconut oil is known as an unhealthy fat but Google the history of coconut oil in the US and Dr. Mercola's research and you might find that this medium-chain fatty acid actually has some health benefits.  Anyway, in my estimation, it beats all other oils hands down for cooking and I figure once every week or two isn't overdoing it. 

Panko, coconut oil and coconut flakes, mustard

Salmon smeared with mustard

Crispy coconut salmon!

So be brave, place the fish breaded side down into a small amount of very hot coconut oil. If you use another oil it will taste entirely different. Cook until the breadcrumbs are crunchy  (just a few minutes) then flip it onto the skin side and finish cooking. It won't take long. The skin and breadcrumbs act as a heat barrier and prevent the flesh from drying out during cooking. I serve this with chutney and it is YUMMY!


Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...