Thursday, June 7, 2012

As The Earth Rumbles

The Cats are at work digging dirt, transporting dirt, spreading dirt, and making a new world for us. I'll add pictures of their progress later today.

The first blue poppy is now raising its beautiful head. This is such a stunning flower that I have been planting it all around my gardens.



Arctic Trivia

It seems ticks are making their way north to Alaska as the climate changes. A species from Alberta is particularly bad as an infestation can actually kill a moose. An adult moose has about 32 liters of blood and an infestation of ticks can consume 40 liters in two months time, which means the moose has to more than replace it's entire blood volume. The blood loss along with lost hair and time spent scratching rather than foraging creates a hardship that added to winter stresses leaves them starving by January. This is the first time I've heard about ticks in Alaska since I first moved here in the early 70's and I do not look forward to encountering this pest. Next it will be rattlesnakes!

I have long been partial to the big fuzzy bumblebee, ever since learning they aren't the stinging kind, but after reading an article about the arctic variety I have a new found respect. In fact all the arctic insects have amazing life histories, but there are so many fascinating things about the arctic bumblebee that I am sharing the link here.


Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...