Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Day

It's been a lazy Mothers Day... some grocery shopping (Kodiak scallops for dinner!), a walk on the beach, Skyping with my young 'un. At 41 degrees, wind and rain, the weather is too miserable to spend much time outside. The shorebirds will have to make do without me today. Maybe they will be so kind as to wait until later this week before heading north... temperature is supposed to hit a glorious 50!

I wanted to post a few pictures to keep everyone up to date. We have been working. Most of the garage is insulated (still working on the upstairs) and sheetrock in my shop is up. Not sure how much more we'll do  on the inside of the garage this year. There is a lot of expensive work yet to be done on the exterior of the garage and the lot (French drains and septic system).




Garage pictures are not very exciting.

There was a sale of last years left over trees and shrubs at Fritz Creek Gardens so I picked up a neat weeping Norway spruce and some low growing junipers to stabilize the slope outside my studio. Had to dig an awfully big hole for that little spruce! (It looks kind of scrawny - maybe that's why it's weeping.) The hungry rabbits and moose better keep their distance next winter, that's all I can say. One of our mountain ash is surely dead though Bob is in denial. Don't know how the other one survived. There is just a smidgeon of bark left on its trunk.




I was too late last year and missed out on these green-edged petunias so I grabbed the last small hanging pot in the greenhouse and am nursing it through the cold.


The young guy installing our new SpitWSpots antenna (for internet -- we ditched the slow DSL) told me he was careful not to step on the succulents coming up at the front of the cabin. Succulents? Huh?? Yeah, with the brown fuzz on them. Wha...? Ohhhh.... the Himalayan poppies!

Here they are, loving this cold wet weather. Me? Not so much.



Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...