Friday, June 20, 2014

$1500 per Month

Yes. Fifteen hundred dollars a month. Unbelievable. But that's what the vet's pharmacy quoted for the anti-fungal meds Tux needs to take for Valley Fever. The vet's assistant is trying to reach the research vet at the University of Arizona's Valley Fever Center for Excellence to confirm the form of the medicine needed. Apparently the pharmacy can make a compounded version of Itraconazole for much less cost, but the research done indicates that the powdered compound isn't absorbed by dogs. They have to take the capsule with little balls, and it is hideously expensive, but a suitable generic is available through Canadian pharmacies at a fraction of the cost. We'll see how this plays out.

Speaking of problems with compounded anti-fungals... it makes me wonder if that is why Tux hasn't responded to the Fluconazole. She's been taking a compounded version. I don't dare ask. I don't want to know. I would be furious. 

Now with Hooper refusing the K/D dog food that seems to be working so well for her kidney issue I am presented with a new feeding challenge. This isn't going to be a matter of just letting her get hungry enough to eat it. She has lost three pounds in the last three months and will pick up a bite of the K/D then drop it and walk away. Attempts to mix it into tastier foods haven't been going well. 

Sheesh. I've lost patience with trying to feed these sick dogs. Thank god Tux is eating everything in sight these days, even the food Hooper refuses, or I would be totally out of my mind. Maybe I am already out of my mind. Who in their RIGHT mind spoon feeds their dog Chicken With Gravy baby food? But there I was in the back of the pickup in Washington recently, spoon feeding Tux when she was too sick to eat. One hundred calories in a jar and that was all the calories she would take in a day. No surprise that she was down to 49 pounds when we went in for her checkup. 

I have looked into my crystal ball and I see NO dogs in my future.

Tractor

 What is it about tractors that is so exciting? Bob is giddy with excitement and the neighbors are begging to take selfies on it. But the wi...